Thursday, November 17, 2011

Shopping Oddities

November in Florida. I woke up to the steady fall of rain outside my window. The clouds were so thick that I stumbled around the kitchen in darkness, searching for the toaster. I curled up on the couch with my toast and listened to rain. I wondered if the whole day would be like this, a blanket of evening spilled over to block out the morning sun.

But, as with any rainstorm here, it magically cleared up before lunchtime. 

I decided to abandon my castle of papers and step out into the humid, hot day. I had a flyer from Jo-Ann's with an array of ridiculously cute holiday paraphernalia. Staring at the big-eyed gingerbread men and grinning snowflakes, I knew I had to leave my work nest to see these things for myself. I'm not a big holiday knick-nacker, but these were worth it. I left my red pen at home, haha.  

This is the first time, in this blog's history, that I'm reporting on a shopping trip. So if it's awkward, please let me know, haha. 


Holiday Owl Doll
I've been looking for a folksy owl doll for over a year now. A college friend had a very cool owl doll she left in her dorm room; sometimes I'd sit it in my lap while we worked on our literature homework together. This owl doll is pretty cool because it's design isn't dependent on winter. Sure, it has the floppy hat and a snowflake stitched to its butt, but overall, this owl could strut down the street in any season.  


Gingerbread Man Spatula 
This is it. This is specifically what I saw in the flyer that I knew I had to have, haha. I mean, since when do spatulas look like this? It makes me want to cook. I'm the queen of the microwave, in most cases, though I love a good cut-and-bake treat once in a while. I'm hoping that this lovely, smiling cookie might convince me to crack open a recipe book. 


Powerpuff Girl 10th Birthday Perfume
In an entirely different store, I found this Powerpuff Girl perfume... which caused me to geek out. 

I'm a big cartoon fan (as most of my readers know), and I remember this show being just one of the cartoons I watched with baited breath until its end. I think Bubbles is still my favorite, but I've discovered I'm more like Blossom, haha. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. 

The perfume smells great. It's refreshing and has a lemony undertone. I can't find much information about this perfume, so I don't know what the "10th Birthday" part means. Is it the ten years that the show ran or is it... representative of a ten-year-old's birthday party? I hope it's the first one. 

Have you been shopping lately? Find anything strange, lovely, or surprising? 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! These three things are so adorable and interesting!
    I bake cookies semi-regularly; can I come over and use your awesome new spatula? You'd get cookies out of it! (If only I lived closer... *sigh*)
    I can't believe I've been thinking all this time that Jo-Ann's was just a boring fabric store.

    Have you named your owl yet?

    Shopping... nope. I really have done no interesting shopping lately. Actually, we did go to Target the other day and found Cinnamon M&M's! That was pretty incredible. And they were really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore those eclectic shopping trips! I have an adorable folksy owl doll that I purchased awhile ago, not at all Christmasy but I still love her and she is proudly perched atop my clock :) You found some adorable items here dearest, you definitely deserved a break and I'm so glad you had fun!

    xx

    ReplyDelete